As 2017 comes to a close it is a wonderful time to reflect on all you accomplished, overcame, and went through in this past year. This is a time to look at these things and either let go of what no longer serves you, learn from past mistakes and/or hardships and then let go, or carry on your joys and accomplishments into the next year in order to keep your momentum and stay inspired on your path. For many, the concept of letting go can be frustrating or foreign. Some may not understand what letting go involves or feel it is too difficult. Letting go is really about moving on from those things that no longer serve you–a difficult relationship, a toxic work environment, negative self-talk, etc. Here are some tips to help you let go of things that you no longer need from 2017:
- Choose to let go: By making the conscious decision to let go of whatever it is that you no longer need you’re telling your brain to stop and rewire. This brings you to a state of peace and awareness and tells your brain and body to release the anxiety. This also helps your mind understand that you always have a choice, and you have the choice to always let go of what you no longer need.
- Express your feelings: This gives you the ability to truly release that hurt and allows you to acknowledge those feelings and traumas rather than hide from them. When you hide from or push those feelings down you perpetuate your pain. You can express these feelings by simply saying them out loud, writing them down, talking to a friend about them, or seeing a psychotherapist to help guide you. You need to “feel to heal” in order to release stuck energy and truly find closure. It is also beneficial to acknowledge your responsibility in whatever you’re trying to release. This allows you to learn from mistakes and ultimately not make the same mistake twice.
- No more victim-hood: When you are in a state of victim-hood your energy is lowered and it takes you to a place of self-loathing and loathing of others. It becomes difficult to forgive and move on. The ego LOVES being the victim because as a victim, the ego feels justified and right, which is what the ego craves. However, this doesn’t nourish your spirit. Your spirit and self want to feel good and happy, but this is next to impossible when in a state of victim-hood. When you can say, “I am powerful and am not a victim,” your ego becomes quiet and your spirit rejoices. Even reading the words, “I am powerful,” feels better than reading, “I am a victim.” Which would you rather be? You are a powerful being who can rise above any circumstance, so release the victim mentality and embrace your inner power.
- Stay in the present: When you are in the present moment you are more mindful of your surroundings and your feelings. Staying in the past keeps you as a victim and focusing on the future can cause anxiety. Whereas being in the present allows you to be aware and not dwell or worry. A wonderful way to stay present is through meditation. This trains your brain to release the past and worries about the future.
- Forgive: Oftentimes forgiveness is looked at as though you agree with whatever the person did. Forgiveness doesn’t mean you agree with the person or even have to remain in the person’s life. It is a way to truly release that hurt and allow yourself to move forward. Simply stating you forgive the person to yourself is a tangible and powerful way to release and find closure. It is the ultimate sign of compassion because you let go of negative energy toward them and show yourself love by granting yourself peace and finality to the situation.
After you have reflected on what you have done and what you need to release you can make your plans for the new year. What do you want to accomplish and how? What are your goals this year? What would you like to see happen to you personally and on a global scale? How can you make these things happen for you? These aren’t “resolutions” because resolutions are often broken and usually unattainable. The beautiful thing about goals and plans is they can evolve and they can take their time to blossom. You don’t have to accomplish everything in one day, one month, or even one year. This is a way to help you affirm what you want for you and manifest wonders into your life. We are all magical beings and when you stop to look around and notice the synchronicity that happens around you all the time, every day you will find yourself in awe with the Universe and its magic. You need only take a step back and watch. Have a wonderful New Year, and I would love to hear what you affirm and wish to manifest for 2018.